To mark the 100th episode of the Allusionist, here’s a celebratory parade of language-related facts.Read More
On the eve of the 2015 General Election in the UK, join me for a jaunt through the etymology of election-related words.
Find out why casting a vote should be more like basketball, how debating could descend into fisticuffs, and why polling is hairy.
- Producer Matt and I went out in a high wind with a megaphone to record at the place for shouting about politics through a megaphone: Speakers' Corner in Hyde Park. Here's a brief history of Speakers' Corner, where people have been blowing high wind through megaphones for more than a century.
- For those who insist upon continuing to do their campaigning indoors, here's a potted history of lobbying in the US.
- I only briefly mentioned the origins of the Tories' name: it has a very knotty history. Read more about that here.
- Swingometer fans! Thanks to the BBC, here're some archive videos and pictures of swingometers through history.
- Here is the transcript of this episode.
MAILCHIMP'S RANDOMLY SELECTED WORD FROM THE DICTIONARY:
This episode is sponsored by Tasting Room. To order the Tasting Room starter pack of wine samples for the special price of $6.95, visit tastingroom.com/allusionist. Unfortunately this offer is only open to listeners in the USA, so we Brits will have to find some other booze to get us through the election.
You've got until 15th May to voice your opinions about podcasts (and be in with a chance to win posh Tivoli headphones) in the Radiotopia listener survey. Fill it out at surveynerds.com/allusionist; thanks very much if you've already done so.
See you in a fortnight, unless etymologocracy wins the day and I'm too drunk on power to make this show.
- This episode was produced by me, Helen Zaltzman, with megaphone assitance from Matt Hill. Matt tweets as @virtualmatthill and makes numerous podcasts and apps, including Spark London and the Media Podcast. Find more of his work at rethinkdaily.co.uk.
- All the music is by Martin Austwick. Hear more of it at http://thesoundoftheladies.bandcamp.com/.
- Find me at facebook.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/allusionistshow and twitter.com/helenzaltzman.