To mark the 100th* episode of the Allusionist, here’s a celebratory parade of language-related facts: some of your favourites from the Allusionist back catalogue, some of my favourites from the Allusionist back catalogue, and a load of fresh facts making their Allusionist debut.
* short hundred, not long hundred.**
** not sure of the difference? Listen to the episode to find out!
Lots of episodes are referred to in the course of this, so if you’re curious to hear more about a particular fact, browse the transcript; if one of the 100 facts relates to a particular episode, I’ve linked to it there. No link = fresh fact!
The transcript is at theallusionist.org/transcripts/hundredth.
There’s also theallusionist.org/lexicon where you can click on a word to find out which episode discusses it.
Content note: this episode contains SWEARS.
Peruse Charles Butler’s major beekeeping book, The Feminine Monarchie, or: The Historie of Bees.
Gosh I was so ignorant before about the plethora of screws.
About John Frearson, inventor of an arguably superior cross-head screw to the phillips?
Canada’s favourite: robertson screws.
The Allusionist live tour of the new show, No Title, has landed in Australia! Get your tickets for the upcoming shows in Sydney, Canberra, Adelaide, Perth and Darwin from theallusionist.org/events.
YOUR RANDOMLY SELECTED WORD FROM THE DICTIONARY:
Much gratitude for the recorded contributions provided by listeners Alaric, Amir, Angie, Ben, Brent, Brian, Bryce, Cameron, Charles, Charlie, Cheese, Christopher, Colin, David, Edward, Frances, Gabe, Gabriella, Haley, Harry, Jackie, other Jackie, Jeff, John, Jonas, Laura, other Laura, Leying, Matthew, Maxime, Maya, Mikel, Noah, Oscar/Gleb, Rachel, Rebecca, Rick, Sarah and Yajna.
For the past four years, Matt Williamson has been superintending inwhiches.tumblr.com. He is now handing over duties to another listener, Ashra Kolhatkar. Thanks Matt! Thanks Ashra!! In his non-inwhich-gif-time (which is most of his time), Matt’s a project manager, so if you need one of those, email him at firstname.lastname@example.org. As well as volunteering for inwhich gif duty, Ashra volunteers at the Vancouver Orphan Kitten Rescue Association.
This episode was produced by me, Helen Zaltzman. Martin Austwick makes the music that you hear in every episode. Download his songs at palebirdmusic.com and listen to his new podcast Year of the Bird about the songs he writes.
Thanks ever so much for listening to the Allusionist! If you’ve liked any of the 100 episodes, tell someone else about it. Preferably someone who might enjoy it; and at a time when they’re receptive to podcast recommendations, so not eg while they’re taking their driving test or leading a funeral service or in the critical stages of making eggs benedict, because they’re never going to listen to the show if they associate it with a split hollandaise or overdone poached egg.
The Allusionist is a proud member of Radiotopia from PRX.
In May 2019, the Allusionist is sponsored by:
• Squarespace, your one-stop shop for creating and running a good-looking and well-working website. Go to squarespace.com/allusion for a free trial, and use the code ALLUSION to get 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain.
• Bombas, socks that won’t let you - or themselves - down. Buy your expertly engineered socks at bombas.com/allusionist and get 20% off your first purchase.
• Babbel, the app that teaches you a new language with confidence. If you’re in the USA, text ALLUSIONIST to 484848 to try a Babbel lesson for free. Elsewhere? Check out the courses at babbel.com and on the Babbel app.
• Beer52, the craft beer discovery club. Each month they’ll deliver to you eight different craft beers, PLUS a snack, PLUS a copy of the award-winning Ferment magazine. If you’re in the UK, Beer52 will give you your first case for free; you just need to pay the £5.95 postage. Claim your free case today at beer52.com/allusionist.
• Progressive. Get your car insurance quote online at progressive.com and see how much you could be saving. Discounts not available in all states and situations.