What is the expression 'beyond the pale' on about? How do you express the absence of feeling? Does 'testify' have anything to do with testicles? Do avocados have anything to do with testicles? How does the phrase "It's all Greek to me" relate to food styling? Can you have a caper with capers? Are sharks misunderstood, etymologically and morally? And finally: where do allusions come from?Read More
There are two main places in the world where the Welsh language is spoken: Wales, and the Chubut Province in Patagonia. How did this ancient language take root in rural Argentina, 12,000 miles away from its home base?Read More
iTUNES • RSS • SOUNDCLOUD • MP3
It's cathartic; it's useful historical records; and it might help you behave better on public transport. Neil Katcher and Dave Nadelberg from Mortified discuss the art and practice of keeping a diary.
- This website has a fair amount of information about Samuel Pepys, including his diary entries describing the Plague and the Great Fire of London - and some of the entries he wrote in code because they're a bit saucy.
- Pepys wrote his diary in shorthand, so snoopers couldn't understand it. Read a translation at Project Gutenberg.
- Anne Frank, meanwhile, edited a version of her diary for possible public consumption, which was the one published in 1947. The longer, private version was recently published.
- Mortification comes in many forms. All of which are funnier when they happened to someone else.
- My friend Jo Neary has been keeping an illustrated diary for decades. Occasionally, she shares some pages online, to my delight.
- Which of these medical acronyms will follow in LOL's footsteps and be in common use in textspeak within the next 30 years?
- Having trouble translating DAMHIKT, UDS or POTF? Acronym Finder is here to help.
- Ever been curious about the Radiotopia sting at the end of the show? Jonathan Mitchell from Radiotopisibling The Truth explains how he composed it in the latest episode of Song Exploder.
- Here's the transcript of this episode.
Roman Mars also returns to talk about Radiotopia. To support our thirteen shows, visit radiotopia.fm.
This episode is sponsored by Passion House Coffee Roasters. Get 20% off any of their subscriptions by visiting passionhousecoffee.com and using the offer code ALLUSIONIST
KANCHANA, VALERIE AND TAVIN'S RANDOMLY SELECTED WORD FROM THE DICTIONARY:
Email your donation receipts to firstname.lastname@example.org to enter the draw to be the randomly selected Radiotopia donor.
- Dave Nadelberg and Neil Katcher run Mortified. It's a weekly podcast, a stage show in many cities around the world, a documentary, a TV series, and books; find all these Mortified things at getmortified.com.
- This episode was produced by me, Helen Zaltzman. Thanks for the advice, Eleanor McDowall and Martin Austwick (who also provided all the music).
- Communicate with me publicly at facebook.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/allusionistshow and twitter.com/helenzaltzman.
Come back next week for another Radiotopisode.
The Allusionist is a proud member of Radiotopia from PRX, which is supported by Mailchimp, the Knight Foundation, and listeners like you.