"Accent is identity. It's a way of encoding and signaling - almost completely at an unconscious level for most people - who they feel like they are, who they want to be seen as, what group they feel like they belong to."
The marvellous podcast Twenty Thousand Hertz investigates how accents have evolved in the UK and USA. Hear more of their episodes at 20k.org.
- Here's a map of your mouth and where it produces sounds.
- More about the Xhosa language.
- How to learn accents and dialects like a champ.
- If you watched the last few episodes of Twin Peaks: The Return, perhaps you spotted the English-ish accent of Freddie-with-the-glove - it's up there with Dick van Dyke's in Mary Poppins. The actor Jake Wardle IS in fact a Brit, and he came to David Lynch's attention with his YouTube videos in which he demonstrates dozens of accents.
- And here's a spoilery Reddit thread about what Freddie's hammy accent might MEAN.
- There's a transcript of this episode at theallusionist.org/transcripts/accents.
THANKS TO TODAY'S SPONSORS:
MODCLOTH's dresses, knitwear, coats, swimwear etc are available in the full size range from XXS to 4X. And it's not just garments - they sell gifts and homewares as well. To score 30% off your order of $100 or more at modcloth.com, enter the code ALLUSIONIST at checkout.
SQUARESPACE offers award-winning templates and simple tools with which you can create an aesthetically pleasing website to be a worthy online home for your business, creative endeavour, store, portfolio, etc. Visit squarespace.com, play around during the two-week free trial, then when you sign up for a year, use the code ALLUSION for a 10% discount on your first purchase of a website or domain.
YOUR RANDOMLY SELECTED WORD FROM THE DICTIONARY:
- This episode originally appeared on Twenty Thousand Hertz. It was produced by Kevin Edds and Dallas Taylor, with Sam Schneble and Jai Berger.
- The episode featured Hollywood dialect coach Erik Singer and linguistics professor Dr Walt Wolfram.
- Visit 20k.org/episodes/accents for more about the episode, and subscribe to the show via 20k.org.
- The Allusionist theme and other original music is by Martin Austwick of Pale Bird Music.
- Find me at facebook.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/helenzaltzman and instagram.com/helenzaltzman.