Roman Mars returns for our annual dose of eponyms - words that derive from people's names. This year: explosive revelations about the origins of the word 'guy'.Read More
Those words on museum walls that you can't be bothered to read? They're more important than you think...
Exhibition-maker Rachel Souhami tells us why.
- Read more about artist Fred Wilson and his 'Mining the Museum' exhibition and other works at the Maryland Historical Society.
- Here's more about that very old museum in Ur.
- Read a lengthy precis of the history of museums, if that's your bag.
- Here's the etymology of the word 'museum'.
- A few years ago, I went on a museums crawl in Vienna and saw such marvels as priapic armour, pickled conjoined foetuses, and meat animations. What's the weirdest museum you've been to?
MAILCHIMP RANDOMLY SELECTED WORD OF THE DAY:
This episode was sponsored by Squarespace.com. Use the code ALLUSION to get 10% off their website-hosting and -building services for a year, and go forth and build your virtual museum.