iTUNES • RSS • SOUNDCLOUD • MP3
"Recognizing someone's humanity is crucial. Calling someone a migrant, calling someone an asylum seeker, calling them a refugee: these are official categories. But in many ways, depending on how they use them, they can change and become more negative."
So says propaganda and migration specialist Emma Briant, explaining the dangers of conflating and misusing the terms that apply to humans on the move. And British-Asian-but-kinda-not author Nikesh Shukla wonders where he's from - where he is really from.
- Emma Briant is quoted in this long read about psychological manipulation by news.
- I found this piece interesting about the practice of overstating harm.
- Adrian Florido of Code Switch (a podcast which is well worth your attention) examines the term 'illegal alien'.
- A journalist struggles with 'illegal immigrant'.
- Poet Michael Rosen rips apart the UK government's scapegoating of immigrants.
- If you don't think English should be full of foreign words, which it is, you could try campaigning for linguistic purism (but you'll be wasting your time, because that's not how the language works).
- The Daily Mail reporting on immigrants in 1900 and in 2016.
- There's a transcript of this episode at theallusionist.org/transcripts/migration.
BLUE APRON concocts recipes, sources ethically produced sustainable ingredients, boxes them up and drops them off at your door, thus facilitating freshly cooked, nutritious dinners for the time-poor/culinarily shy/jetlagged eater. See what meals they've got coming up, and get your first three meals free, at blueapron.com/allusionist.
SQUARESPACE is your all-in-one platform for creating and maintaining a website. Their award-winning templates and simple drag and drop tools are waiting for you: go try them out! Now's your time, you website-builder, you. There's a free two-week trial, plus 24/7 online customer service; and if you want to sign up, you get 10% off your first purchase at squarespace.com/allusion.
YOUR RANDOMLY SELECTED WORD FROM THE DICTIONARY:
- Emma Briant is a lecturer in journalism studies at the University of Sheffield, but is currently a researcher at George Washington University, and writing a new book about media bias and American politics. Her 2013 book Bad News for Refugees studied how migrants have been stigmatised by politicians and journalists over many years. Read more of her work on migration, propaganda and communication at her website, emma-briant.co.uk, and follow her on Twitter @emmabriant.
- Nikesh Shukla is an author and the editor of The Good Immigrant, and of another forthcoming collection, Rife, by British writers under the age of 24. Pledge for it here (I have!). Find more of his work at nikesh-shukla.com, and follow him on Twitter @nikeshshukla.
- This episode was produced by me, with music by Martin Austwick, who also provided editorial help, as did Eleanor McDowall. Thanks too to Cheeka Eyers and Hrishikesh Hirway.
- Find me at facebook.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/helenzaltzman and instagram.com/helenzaltzman.