iTUNES • RSS • SOUNDCLOUD • MP3
Breaking up is hard to do, and it's hard to put into appropriate words.
Comedian Rosie Wilby seeks a better term for 'ex'; family law barrister Nick Allen runs through the vocabulary of divorce; and listeners share some of their worst break-up lines.
NOTE: this episode is not full of bawdy talk, but there are adult themes and a couple of category B swearwords.
A BIT (OF ADDITIONAL MATERIAL) ON THE SIDE:
- The Museum of Broken Relationships is coming to LA - do you have anything to exhibit?
- Listener Felipe reminded me about French artist Sophie Calle's Take Care Of Yourself, an exhibition about the email in which her boyfriend dumped her.
- Want more tales of break-ups? Get yourself to You Broke Up How?
- Here's Esther Perel on ghosting, AKA the coward's way out.
- Watch Rosie Wilby's TEDx talk 'Is Monogamy Dead?'
- Let the UK government explain the difference between civil partnership and same-sex marriage.
- Conscious uncoupling.
- Here's the transcript of the episode.
HELP US, HELP YOURSELF WITH TODAY'S SPONSORS:
1. Our generous benefactors Squarespace.com want to help you realise your online dreams in the form of beautiful, well-designed websites. Start your free trial today at squarespace.com/allusion.
2. Slack.com is messaging for teams - including insomniac teams like Radiotopia. You can use Slack for free for as long as you want; but if you visit slack.com/allusionist and create a new team, you'll receive $100 in credit to use if you ever upgrade to a paid plan with additional features.
MAILCHIMP'S RANDOMLY SELECTED WORD FROM THE DICTIONARY:
- Rosie Wilby is a comedian and writer. You can find her live show dates, written work and more at rosiewilby.com and on Twitter @rosiewilby; you can hear her podcast, and her radio show Out in South London is on Resonance FM.
- Nick Allen is a family law barrister. I'm hoping you don't require the services of one of those, but if you do, Nick is the best.
- This episode was produced by me, Helen Zaltzman, with editorial help from Hrishikesh Hirway from Song Exploder. The music is by Martin Austwick.
- Don't go breaking my heart: let's keep our love alive at facebook.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/allusionistshow and twitter.com/helenzaltzman.