What is your beautiful brain up to as you comprehend language?Read More
iTUNES • RSS • SOUNDCLOUD • MP3
Why do we all sound like idiots when we talk to babies? Don't be embarrassed, we're helping them acquire language. Child psychologist Ben Jeffes explains.
Caution: may cause flashbacks to the time you were trapped in the Why? Loop for six years.
WHO WANTS A WICKLE READ? YES YOU DO! YES YOU DO!
- Here's a comprehensive piece about how politeness sent 'thou' packing in favour of 'you'.
- What we refer to as 'baby talk' in the episode is also known as 'parentese', apparently.
- Here's a whopper of a New Yorker article about talking to children, and the differences arising from economics/class.
- Read a quick overview of bilingual babies, and then more of the science.
- There's a transcript of this episode here.
- Allusionist T-shirts exist! Treat your torso at chopshopstore.com/allusionist.html.
Today's episode is sponsored by Squarespace.com, your one-stop shop for creating a snazzy website. You can have 10% off your first purchase with the code ALLUSION.
MAILCHIMP'S RANDOMLY SELECTED WORD FROM THE DICTIONARY:
- Ben Jeffes is a child psychologist. He must hear a lot of 'Why?' in his working day. Find him at childprofiles.co.uk.
- This episode was produced by me, Helen Zaltzman. The music is by Martin Austwick. Hear and/or download more - WITH LYRICS! - at thesoundoftheladies.bandcamp.com.
- Talk to me like we're both adults at facebook.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/allusionistshow and twitter.com/helenzaltzman.