Each of the 50 states in the USA has its own motto. The motto might be found on the state seal, or the state flag; more often than not, it might be in Latin, or Spanish, or Chinook; it might be a phrase or a single word. And if you think you know what yours is, check that it is not in fact an advertising slogan.
PRX.org staff reveal their state mottos - or what they thought were their state mottos, until this episode ruined it for them - and how those words have shaped their perception of their state and their selves.
- State mottos are not state slogans.
- Pretty: a designer from each state illustrated their state’s motto.
- Also pretty: state sandwiches.
- Honest state slogans, and state slogans debunked.
- 28 of the states have an official state beverage. SPOILER: it's usually milk.
- Parsing 'Sic semper tyrannis'.
- Earlier this year, Rhode Island attempted a new state slogan. It wasn't a hit like 'Don't mess with Texas'.
- There's a transcript of this episode at theallusionist.org/transcripts/state-mottos
THANKS TO TODAY'S SPONSORS:
1. BOMBAS will donate a pair of their exactingly engineered socks to a homeless shelter for every pair you buy. Dress someone else's feet as well as your own, and get 20% off when you buy four or more pairs, at bombas.com.
2. SQUARESPACE makes it easy to design and host a good-looking website. Start your free trial today, and get 10% off for a year if you sign up: visit squarespace.com/allusion.
Thanks also to Podster Magazine and Freshbooks for their very generous contributions to this year's Radiotopia fundraiser. And to you, for supporting this show and the others in the Radiotopia collective! If you'd like to donate, click here.
MAILCHIMP'S RANDOMLY SELECTED WORD FROM THE DICTIONARY:
- We heard from PRX staffers, in order of appearance: Julie Shapiro, executive producer of Radiotopia (Ohio); Josh Swartz, producer and curator of PRX Remix (Massachusetts); Kathleen Unwin, sponsorship director (Missouri); Andrew Kuklewicz, chief technology officer (Texas); Kali Navé, manager of advertising operations (North Carolina); Maggie Taylor, director of marketing (New Hampshire); Audrey Mardavich, director of special projects (Connecticut); Genevieve Sponsler, content coordinator (Virginia); Gina James, manager of development and operations (New Jersey); Kerri Hoffman, CEO (Vermont).
- PRX is the engine of Radiotopia and a lot of other projects. Visit PRX.org to find out more about what they're up to - and if you're in the Boston area, check out the events, workshops and studio opportunities at PRX's new Podcast Garage.
- This episode was produced by me, Helen Zaltzman, with Devon Taylor. The music is by Martin Austwick.