iTUNES • RSS • SOUNDCLOUD • MP3
CONTENT NOTE: this episode contains Strong Language and Frank Discussions of sex and bodies.
As considered in episode 51, Under the Covers part II, the vocabulary for sex and associated body parts is tricky to navigate in many ways - but even more so if you are trans or gender non-binary.
Following that show, I heard from several trans and non-binary listeners, recounting their experiences of that vocabulary; so I decided to make this episode about it.
- You heard from them in the episode, now read Lorelei Erisis's columns in The Rainbow Times; find Rebecca Kling's work at rebeccakling.com; Andre Perez's videos and audio are at andrealanperez.com; Owl and their partner Fox make videos at youtube.com/tigersnack.
- I'm currently reading Kate Bornstein's Gender Outlaw - the update 20ish years on from its original publication, reflecting on how things have changed since and continue to do so.
- Earlier this year, my podcaster friends Jesse and Theresa Thorn talked beautifully about their 5-year-old daughter's transition in their respective shows, Jordan, Jesse, Go! and One Bad Mother.
- The documentary Mr Angel is the most thoughtful and interesting documentary you're likely to see about Buck Angel, a rarity amongst porn stars as a man with a vagina.
- One of the most striking and devastating pieces I've read about how gender ≠ genitals is this 1997 Rolling Stone piece by John Colapinto. Unfortunately, there is no happy ending (NB content warnings for suicide for that piece).
- The transcript of this episode is at theallusionist.org/transcripts/joins.
BLUE APRON creates healthy, delicious meals, packages up the right amount of responsibly sourced ingredients, and delivers them to your door. If you're in the contiguous USA, get three meals free at blueapron.com/allusionist.
MAILCHIMP offers lots of different tools to help you grow your business, connect with customers, shift products and, most of all, not send emails like a spambot. Learn more and start for free at mailchimp.com.
YOUR RANDOMLY SELECTED WORD FROM THE DICTIONARY:
- Big thanks to everyone who appeared in this episode - in alphabetical order, Andre, Lee, Lorelei, Marshall, Mattie, Owl, Rebecca and Sez.
- The episode was produced by Sarah Geis, Wintersong Tashlin, and me, with help from Dave Nadelberg of Mortified, and Radiotopia executive producer Julie Shapiro. The music is by Martin Austwick.
- Find me at facebook.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/helenzaltzman and instagram.com/helenzaltzman.