Sometimes words can become your worst enemy. Clinical psychologist and cognitive behavioural therapist Dr Jane Gregory tells how to defuse their power.
The main part of this episode is a rerun of episode 14; visit theallusionist.org/behave to see the full show notes. There's a new piece of word history this time round, though: the etymology of 'control'. Strap in for a wild ride down to the 13th century accounts department!
I had forgotten I had quite a rough throat when I recorded this episode originally; it sounds like I'm whispering reverently, whereas I'm just trying not to wake the hacking cough. Bit of insight into The Process for you there.
The transcript is at theallusionist.org/transcripts/behave-rerun.
MEET ME OUTSIDE:
- Want to know more about being a podcaster? Come to PRX's Podcast Garage on 3 April, when Martin Austwick - from Answer Me This, Song By Song and my marriage - and I will be talking about what we've learned from ten years in this racket. Tickets are free, click here to reserve one.
- Roman Mars and I - and Martin, again - will be performing our new joint live collaboration 99% Allusional: Objects and Words for Beautiful Nerds on 14 April at the Zipper Hall in Los Angeles, to raise funds for Arts for LA. It will be the best night of educational entertainment you'll have all week/month/year/life. Click here to buy tickets.
- In May, Radiotopia is going on tour, and putting on live shows in Portland, Seattle, San Francisco and LA. Roman and I will be doing Different Stuff to the 99% Allusional gigs - he's staging a very special 99% Invisible musical collaboration with Jon Mooallem and the Brink Players, AKA most of the Decemberists on a day off from the Decemberists. Also! You'll see performances by Criminal, the Memory Palace, Mortified and (LA show only) the West Wing Weekly. Get your tickets via radiotopia.fm/live.
TODAY'S SPONSORS ARE:
1. BLUE APRON, who want you to be able to make yourself a nice dinner without any hassle. To see what meals are in the offing and get your first three for free, visit blueapron.com/allusionist.
2. MAILCHIMP offers lots of different tools to help you grow your business, connect with customers, shift product and, most of all, not send emails like a spambot. Learn more at mailchimp.com.
TODAY'S RANDOMLY SELECTED WORD FROM THE DICTIONARY:
- Dr Jane Gregory is a clinical psychologist working in the NHS and her own private practice. She blogs at cognitivebehaveyourself.com and tweets @CBYourself. Visit thisiscbt.com to learn more about CBT and different types of therapy.
- This episode was produced by me, Helen Zaltzman. All the music is by Martin Austwick. Hear and/or download more at thesoundoftheladies.bandcamp.com.
- Say hello to me at facebook.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/allusionistshow and twitter.com/helenzaltzman.