iTUNES • RSS • SOUNDCLOUD • MP3
"Rarely has any social movement come so far in such a short space of time."
This week seems like a good one to listen again to last year's episode Pride, about how the word came to be chosen for LGBTQ Pride. Activist and publisher Craig Schoonmaker tells the story.
There are full show notes and links to additional material at theallusionist.org/pride. I donated to the GLBT Community Center of Central Florida at thecenterorlando.org.
I hope Pride month is characterised by kindness and safety for you all.
FREQUENT TODAY'S SPONSORS:
1. THE GREAT COURSES PLUS. Visit thegreatcoursesplus.com/Allusion to stream any of their video lectures for free for 30 days. You can join me in watching The Secret Life of Words: English Words and Their Origins, or any of their thousands of brain-nourishing lectures.
2. SQUARESPACE. Build a stylish website in minutes using Squarespace.com. Start your free trial now at squarespace.com/allusion.
MAILCHIMP'S RANDOMLY SELECTED WORD FROM THE DICTIONARY:
- L. Craig Schoonmaker has several websites, including Mr Gay Pride, featuring articles and materials going all the way back to 1969; the Mr Gay Pride blog is also very interesting. He also runs a photo journal about Newark, NJ, as well as a version making the case for phonetic (fonetik?) spelling of English.
- This episode was produced by me and Eleanor McDowall of Falling Tree, with help from Peregrine Andrews.
- All the music in this episode is by Martin Austwick. Hear and/or download more at thesoundoftheladies.bandcamp.com.
- Find me at facebook.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/allusionistshow and twitter.com/helenzaltzman.