Come to see the all new Allusionist live show
at the London Podcast Festival,
2pm Saturday 16 September.
Tickets are on sale now at kingsplace.co.uk/radiotopia.
Crossword-solving is often a solitary activity - over breakfast; on the train; on the loo... But a few times a year, crossword puzzle enthusiasts gather in their hundreds to compete to be the fastest, most accurate crossword-solver.
This episode comes to you from a church basement on the Upper East Side of New York City, wherein takes place America's second largest crossword puzzle tournament: Lollapuzzoola.
CORRECTION: the comeptition prize included a 2017 almanac, not a 2007 edition. Apologies! In my jetlagged state, I misheard, and assumed that Lollapuzzoola were giving out a ten-year-old World Almanac as a wry tribute to their tenth anniversary. The jetlagged brain works in mysterious ways/doesn't work.
- Try this year's Lollapuzzoola puzzles - right now you can buy them from bemoresmarter.com.
- You heard from him in the show, now read Rex Parker Does The New York Times Crossword Puzzle.
- Several of the people I met at Lollapuzzoola write about crosswords at Diary of a Crossword Fiend.
- Crosswords by 2016 Lollapuzzoola champ Erik Agard.
- About those tricksy meta-puzzle elements, by Paolo Pasco who constructed the infernal first puzzle at this year's tournament.
- A rookie at the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament.
- A rookie at Lollapuzzoola in 2015.
- The New York Times's crossword column, Wordplay.
- The documentary Wordplay is about the NYT Crossword and the ACPT.
- Want to enter the ACPT, the Indie 500 or Lollapuzzoola?
- Listen to episode 8 of this show, about the construction of cryptic crosswords, at theallusionist.org/crosswords.
- The transcript of this episode is at theallusionist.org/transcripts/lollapuzzoola.
THANKS TO TODAY'S SPONSORS:
BLUE APRON create new meals each week and box up the responsibly sourced ingredients for you to cook fresh at home/wait for your teenager to take the hint and make themselves useful. If you're in the contiguous USA, you can get your first three meals for free at blueapron.com/allusionist.
MAILCHIMP helps you tackle mailouts and online marketing so you don't crap all over your recipients' inboxes. Send better email, and sell more stuff: get started at mailchimp.com.
YOUR RANDOMLY SELECTED WORD FROM THE DICTIONARY:
- Thanks to Bruce Ryan for making this all happen! Follow him on Twitter @brucery.
- Much obliged to Brian Cimmet of Lollapuzzoola, and all the attendees you heard on the episode: in order of appearance, Steve, Chris, another Chris, Brian, Ben, Jesse, Erik, Michael, Laura, Adesina, Katie, Penelope, Neville and his mom C.
- This episode was produced by me, Helen Zaltzman; the music is by Martin Austwick.
- Find me at facebook.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/helenzaltzman and instagram.com/helenzaltzman - and, live and onstage, at this year's London Podcast Festival.