Come to see the all new Allusionist live show
at the London Podcast Festival,
2pm Saturday 16 September.
Tickets are on sale now at kingsplace.co.uk/radiotopia.
"It's sort of frozen body language; that's what handwriting analysis is about."
Since it caught on a couple of hundred years ago, graphology - analysing handwriting to deduce characteristics of the writer - has struggled to be taken seriously as a practice. But undoubtedly, there are things about ourselves that we can't help but reveal in our handwriting. Graphologist Adam Brand explains the 'pseudoscience/useful art'.
- If you want to learn graphology, Adam recommends The Complete Idiot's Guide To Handwriting as a starting point.
- RE different hands for different people: The Hidden Messages of Colonial Writing, and Tidy Librarian Writing.
- Writing on electronic devices means I rarely write by hand any more - do you? But, based on the number of Buzzfeed pieces about it I've seen this year, I reckon handwriting is making a comeback.
- Is cursive dying out in America?
- For more about the development of handwriting analysis alongside ideas of the self, read Tamara Plakins Thornton's Handwriting in America: A Cultural History.
- The CIA's assessment of graphology.
- What your signature means (even without graphological training, I think we can tell what this signature means).
- What does your letter 'g' say about your libido?
- Improve your motivation with graphotherapy.
- Prince George's birth certificate.
- Transcript of this episode: theallusionist.org/transcripts/graphology.
Be a pal and fill in this year's Radiotopia survey at surveynerds.com/Allusionist. The information you supply helps me make the show more to your liking. Plus, if you are existentially soothed by filling in forms - here's a form for you to fill in!
THANKS TO TODAY'S SPONSORS:
MAILCHIMP helps you tackle mailouts and online marketing like a champion. Send better email, and sell more stuff: get started at mailchimp.com.
SQUARESPACE offers award-winning templates and simple tools with which you can create your website, even if you're a web design muggins like muggins here. For a free trial and 10% off your first purchase, visit squarespace.com/allusion.
YOUR RANDOMLY SELECTED WORD FROM THE DICTIONARY:
- Adam Brand is a truly delightful professional graphologist - and though he knew nothing about me beforehand, his analysis of my writing was spot on. Visit adambrand.co.uk to find out more about his work and/or hire him for your recruitment and forensic needs.
- This episode was produced by me, with help from Cheeka Eyers; the music is by Martin Austwick.
- Find me at facebook.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/helenzaltzman and instagram.com/helenzaltzman - and, live and onstage, at this year's London Podcast Festival.
The Allusionist is a proud member of Radiotopia from PRX.
PS A glimpse beneath the magician's cloth - or producer's duvet in this case: I'm currently travelling (on a jaunt for the next episode), so had to build a recording booth in my hotel bathroom. While listening, adjust your mental picture accordingly.
PPS Duvet recording booths are DISGUSTINGLY WARM.