I've got live gigs coming up! Visit theallusionist.org/events for information about Radiotopia's East Coast tour, and Allusionist Live fixtures in Australia.
APPLE PODCASTS • RSS • RADIOPUBLIC• MP3
Roll down your window, grab yourself some zoom zooms and wham whams, because today we're going inside to open up the unofficial dictionary of San Quentin State Prison, compiled by Earlonne Woods of Ear Hustle podcast.
Content note: this episode contains some Adult Terms.
- Earlonne compiled a lot more San Quentin terms than we got to in the episode; click here for the longer Ear Hustle Dictionary.
- During our visit to SQ's media lab, we met the guys who run the San Quentin Times, one of the only newspapers in the world produced by inmates.
- Beautiful tribute to the paper's former editor-in-chief, who died in a car accident last September two months after being released from San Quentin.
- POPS the Club works with teens who have family in the prison system. Each year, they publish an anthology of students' writing and artwork - a new one will arrive in May - and they're fundraising. Lauren Marks of the Eclipse episode tipped me off about their work.
- Listen to this episode from fellow Radiotopia show Criminal about an audacious escape from the Bay Area's other famous prison: Alcatraz.
- Listen to the Open Me part I episode of this show to hear Earlonne and Nigel talking about the importance of writing letters to people who are incarcerated - here's the address to send postcards to San Quentin.
- The transcript of this episode is at theallusionist.org/transcripts/ear-hustling.
This episode is sponsored by Babbel, the number 1 selling language app in the world. There are 14 languages you can learn via fun quick interactive tutorials. To get 50% off your first 3 months of Babbel, use the code ALLUSION when you go to babbel.com/allusion.
YOUR RANDOMLY SELECTED WORD FROM THE DICTIONARY:
- Earlonne Woods and Nigel Poor are the hosts and creators of the podcast Ear Hustle; their second season has just started. Listen at earhustlesq.com. Thanks too to Lt Sam Robinson of San Quentin for his help.
- This episode was produced by me and Martin Austwick, who also makes the music that you hear in every episode. He has a beautiful new album out - with lyrics as well as music! - at palebirdmusic.com.
- Find me at facebook.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/helenzaltzman and instagram.com/helenzaltzman.
The Allusionist is a proud member of Radiotopia from PRX
PS. Here are a few photos from our visit. I couldn't take my phone into the prison, but there are lots of great photos from inside on Ear Hustle's Instagram and Facebook, which I highly recommend following.