It's Radiotopia's annual fundraiser! If you have any spare money to throw at your beloved audiotainers, go to radiotopia.fm to become a recurring supporter of this and all the other Radiotopian shows. Here are some compelling reasons to do that:
1. You enjoy our stuff, and you want more of it;
2. You love to be a patron of independent media;
3. You like the look of the various donor gifts available only during this year's fundraiser, including a Mortified viewing party, a unique oral history project from Criminal, a special something from me, and some magnificent SOCKS.
Whatever your reasoning: if you can afford to do it, support the show at radiotopia.fm.
iTUNES • RSS • SOUNDCLOUD • RADIOPUBLIC • MP3
From Me To You’s Alison Hitchcock and Brian Greenley didn’t know each other well. But when Brian was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, Alison offered to write him letters. 100 letters later, their lives were changed.
One of the newest members of Radiotopia is Ear Hustle, a podcast made inside San Quentin by and about the men incarcerated there, in collaboration with Nigel Poor. In prison, a letter is a precious thing.
- You can donate a letter to a stranger via From Me To You; click here to find out more about how to do that, and here for tips to start a letter to a stranger.
- See some of Ear Hustle's kites.
- Samara O'Shea wrote letters on behalf of people - if you couldn't write your own love letter or break-up letter, you used to be able to hire her to do it. I'm halfway through her book about it.
- The Letter Writing Alliance aims to keep letter writing alive.
- The Letter Farmer is a pop-up letter writing experience.
- Earlier this week, I answered your questions about how this show is made.
- The transcript of this episode is at theallusionist.org/transcripts/open-me-1.
MAILCHIMP helps you tackle mailouts and online marketing so you don't crap all over your recipients' inboxes. Send better email, and sell more stuff: get started at mailchimp.com.
SQUARESPACE offers award-winning templates and simple tools with which you can create an aesthetically pleasing website for your business, creative endeavour, store, portfolio, etc. Use the free trial at squarespace.com, then when you sign up for a year, use the code ALLUSION for a 10% discount on your first purchase of a website or domain.
YOUR RANDOMLY SELECTED WORD FROM THE DICTIONARY:
- From Me To You was founded by Alison Hitchcock and Brian Greenley. Find it at frommetoyouletters.co.uk. And they received a Points of Light Award the other day!
- Ear Hustle is produced by Earlonne Woods, Antwan Williams and Nigel Poor. Visit earhustlesq.com to hear the show, see some of the kites and learn where to send one yourself.
- This episode was produced by me, Helen Zaltzman, with Martin Austwick, who does the music for the show. Pre-order his new album at palebirdmusic.bandcamp.com.
- Find me at facebook.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/helenzaltzman and instagram.com/helenzaltzman.