• iTUNES • RSS • SOUNDCLOUD • MP3 •
Which are you: Millennial, Generation X, Baby Boomer, Silent Generation, an impressively young-looking Arthurian? Or are you an individual who refuses to be labelled?
READ ALL ABOUT IT
- Generations at a glance, thanks to Neil Howe.
- Not sure which generation you fall into? Calculate it.
- Neil has written numerous pieces for Forbes about the generations, and many books - here's the background of Strauss-Howe generational theory.
- But wait - Millennials aren't real?
- A Millennial rants against an anti-Millennial rant by a Millennial.
- Thomas Jefferson was a proponent of generational theory in this letter to James Madison.
- Read an extract of Miranda Sawyer's book Out of Time (and then buy it).
- Scientific chaos.
- There's a transcript of this episode at theallusionist.org/transcripts/generation-what.
TODAY'S BONA FIDE SPONSORS:
1. POO-POURRI, the before-you-go bathroom spray, will dupe people into believing your excrement is as fragrant as a summer cocktail. For a 20% discount on your next order at poopourri.com, use the code word WORDS.
2. BOMBAS socks are expertly engineered, and for every pair you buy, Bombas will donate a pair to a homeless shelter. Treat your feet and somebody else's: go to bombas.com/allusionist and use the offer code allusionist at checkout for 20% off.
MAILCHIMP'S RANDOMLY SELECTED WORD FROM THE DICTIONARY:
- Megan Tan hosts Millennial, the latest podcast to join Radiotopia. Find it at millennialpodcast.org and find her on Twitter @millennialpdcst.
- Miranda Sawyer is the author of Out of Time and many articles in The Observer. She is @msmirandasawyer on Twitter.
- Neil Howe has written a ton of books on generational theory. Find out more at his website, lifecourse.com; and he's @howegeneration on Twitter.
- This episode was produced by Devon Taylor, Cheeka Eyers and me, Helen Zaltzman. The music is by Martin Austwick.
The show is taking a break for the rest of July, but will return on 5 August 2016.