Why is gaslighting 'gaslighting'? What do bodily fluids have to do with personality traits? Why does 'cataract' mean a waterfall and an eye condition? And do doctors really say 'Stat!' or is that just in ER?
It's the end-of-2016 bonus edition of the Allusionist, containing some of your etymological requests and extra chat from some of this year's guests, to whit:
- Dr Isaac Siemens from the Name That Disease episode, on the language doctors are using when they don't want you to know what they're talking about;
- Naming consultant Nancy Friedman from the Brand It episode, on name trends in the legal marijuana business;
- Dictionary.com's Jane Solomon from the Word of the Day episode, on people's weird dictionary search patterns;
- Divorce lawyer Nick Allen from the Post-Love episode, on grounds for divorce.
Missed those episodes? Go back and catch up, before the show returns in early February.
There's a transcript of this episode at theallusionist.org/transcripts/bonus2016.
SPONSORS MAKE THE SHOW GO ROUND:
1. POETRY MAGAZINE is offering you Allusionites a whopping 50% discount on a year's subscription of their monthly mag. Treat yourself or a poetry-loving friend/acquaintance/paramour at poetrymagazine.org/allusionist. Also check out the magazine's archive at poetryfoundation.org - it has been going since 1912!
2. POO-POURRI is the before-you-go toilet spray that turns your stench into scent, with fragrant combinations of essential oils. Get 20% off your next order at poopourri.com with the discount code WORDS.
3. BOMBAS expertly engineered their socks for optimal comfort and durability. And for every pair you buy, they'll donate a pair to a homeless shelter in the USA. Shop for your own and someone else's feet at bombas.com, where you'll receive 20% off your first order of four or more pairs.
MAILCHIMP'S RANDOMLY SELECTED WORD FROM THE DICTIONARY:
- This episode was produced by me, with music by Martin Austwick.*
- Thanks to Devon Taylor and Cheeka Eyers for their help with the show this year. If you ever need an audio producer on your team, hire them! They are wonderful.
- Find me at facebook.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/allusionistshow or twitter.com/helenzaltzman.
Thanks for your company this year. See you in the next.
The Allusionist is a proud member of Radiotopia from PRX.
* Here's a photo of me editing the show last night while Martin took pictures of stars: