iTUNES • RSS • SOUNDCLOUD • MP3
Words are all over the place. So how do you turn them into fun games? Here to show the way is Leslie Scott, founder of Oxford Games and inventor of more than forty games - including word games such as Ex Libris, Anagram and Flummoxed, and the non-word game Jenga.
- Leslie describes how she invented and marketed Jenga.
- Here's a YouTube tutorial for making a Rainbow Jenga drink. Um, I might pass.
- Cheer up, Scrabble fans: Grammar Girl has found some lovely Scrabble tchotchkes for you.
- It never made it to the mass market - YET - but a while ago I made a giant inflatable Boggle set. Possibly the world's first/only?
- Have you heard this episode of 99% Invisible about companies which you can hire to name your products? If not, do.
- I'm really enjoying this thread on the Allusionist Facebook page about the games you lot play to enliven boring journeys. There are several variants on The Numberplate Game.
- The transcript of this episode is here.
SWEET DEALS FROM TODAY'S SPONSORS:
HelloFresh create fresh, healthy meal kits and send them to your door. Allusionist listeners in the USA can get three free meals in their first delivery: visit hellofresh.com/allusion.
If you're in the market for some new web domains, or want to transfer ones you already possess, sort yourself out at Hover.com, where you can get 10% off your first purchase by using the code ‘allusionist’ at checkout.
MAILCHIMP'S RANDOMLY SELECTED WORD FROM THE DICTIONARY:
- Leslie Scott is the founder of Oxford Games, which you can find at oxfordgames.co.uk and twitter.com/oxfordgames, and she herself tweets as @AboutJenga. She is an absolute delight, and I'm curious to read her book.
- If you noticed cup-noises and sneezing in the background of the episode, it's because Leslie and I met at Kipferl cafe in Islington, London. What you lose in acoustic perfection, you gain in Austrian espresso cake perfection.
- This episode was produced by me, Helen Zaltzman. All the music is by Martin Austwick. Hear and/or download more - WITH LYRICS! - at thesoundoftheladies.bandcamp.com.
- Say hello to me at facebook.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/allusionistshow and twitter.com/helenzaltzman.