iTUNES • RSS • SOUNDCLOUD • MP3
Warning: this episode contains references to drugs, sex and genitals, plus some mild swears (category B/C).
Throughout the year, I've been stockpiling your requests for etymologies, and for the last episode of 2015, here are some answers! Ever wondered about the correct plural of 'octopus', who was the original nemesis, or whether 'picnic' is racist?
There's also a sprinkling of anecdotes there wasn't room for in the show earlier this year. Prepare for Klingon, acid trips, Cliff Richard, and Michael Palin's cock.
CLARIFICATION OF LINGUIST CONFLATION:
Marc Okrand invented Klingon.
David J. Peterson developed the Dothraki language for the TV adaptation of Game of Thrones.
David Salo expanded J.R.R. Tolkien's Elvish for the Lord of the Rings films.
The transcript of this episode is at theallusionist.org/bonus2015.
MAILCHIMP'S RANDOMLY SELECTED WORD FROM THE DICTIONARY:
- Hear Nate DiMeo of the Memory Palace on the Toki Pona episode.
- Hear songwriter Tony Hazzard on the Vocables episode.
- Hear writer Alice Sanders on the Architecting About Dance episode.
- This episode was produced by me, Helen Zaltzman. The music is all by Martin Austwick. Hear and/or download more - WITH LYRICS! - at thesoundoftheladies.bandcamp.com.
- Communicate with me at facebook.com/allusionistshow, twitter.com/allusionistshow and twitter.com/helenzaltzman.